Skills Discovery Day provides a non-competitive and non-threatening introduction to the Skills Canada program, encouraging more students to register for the annual Regional Skills Competition. By providing more students with access to the related college programs, faculty and labs, we can eliminate some of the “fear factor” and establish a realistic view of how participation in the Skills Canada program can be a positive experience and a support to future career decision making.
This event can accommodate up to 100 students. Each student will have the opportunity to explore 3 Regional Skills areas throughout the day, including a general introduction to Skills Canada, and a hot lunch.
Date: Tuesday, December 17, 2019
Location: Lethbridge College
Registration will open in November.
Teachers, watch for more information coming through email in October.
Please see pre-requisite courses and/or PPE required for various Skills areas. These MUST be followed in order to participate in the corresponding area.
- Automotive Service – MUST have taken or be currently enrolled in a Mechanics 10 course
- Baking – no requirements
- Cabinet Making – MUST have taken or be currently enrolled in a Construction 10 course
- Carpentry – MUST have taken or be currently enrolled in a Construction 10 course; Steel-toed boots are recommended however Career Transitions will have toe caps for student who do not have steel-toed boots.
- Culinary Arts – no requirements
- Fashion Design – no requirements
- Graphic Design – no requirements
- Hairstyling – no requirements
- Photography – students are welcome to bring their own camera however, they will have to carry their camera with them for the entire day.
- Public Speaking – no requirements
- Video Production – no requirements
- Welding – MUST have taken or be currently enrolled in a Fabrication 10 course; Students should bring coveralls and wear closed-toed boots; jeans and a long sleeved shirt are OK however the clothes may be damaged.
- Lethbridge College Tour – no requirements
Activity descriptions of each Skills area will be updated as that information comes available.
- Automotive Service –
- Baking –
- Cabinet Making –
- Carpentry –
- Culinary Arts –
- Fashion Design –
- Graphic Design –
- Hairstyling –
- Photography –
- Public Speaking –
- Video Production –
- Welding –
- Lethbridge College Tour –