The Ironworkers Local 725, in conjunction with Career Transitions, is pleased to offer a full-time, 10-week introduction to the Ironworking trade. Local 725 has a proven track record in providing training to high school students and a sincere interest in preparing the youth from our region for a future career in this exciting trade.
As a demonstration of that interest, the Introduction to Ironworking program is being offered to the successful applicants free of charge. The training program will focus on the integration of the ironworking trade in wind turbine construction. Be a part of this innovative program and earn high school credits while learning from qualified industry professionals!
Come and learn about the program and find out what you’ll need to apply. Try your hand at tying rebar and virtually walking the steel to see if this exciting program is good fit for you.
Date: October 16, 2019
Time: either 5:00-6:30 OR 7:00-8:30
Location: Ironworkers Local 725 Training Centre – 2801 2 Ave N, Lethbridge, AB
Interested in attending? Please register HERE
All applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Positive attitude and proven ability to work well with others
- Physically fit with the capacity to lift, carry, and climb
- Provide own transportation to and from the training site (located in the industrial area).
- Current Grade 11 or 12 students with acceptable academic and attendance records
- Demonstrate a positive attitude, motivation, and commitment to a 10-week program
The curriculum will include some theory and classroom activity but will primarily involve hands-on learning. The following list is a sample of the general topic areas that will be covered:
- Safety Training including formal certifications
- Trades Math and Tape Measure skills
- Rough Terrain Forklift
- High Angle Rescue
- Introduction to Wind Turbines
- Job Search Support
A comprehensive course outline will be provided to successful applicants.
April 20 to June 26, 2020
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Monday – Friday
Submit complete application package on or before November 29, 2019
Please see the Career Practitioner or Off-Campus Coordinator at your school to obtain the application package.
Please note that the application package includes 4 documents:
• Completed application form
• Completed Teacher Recommendation form or letter of reference from the previous employer
• A most recent copy of a transcript
High school students: You are expected to have your application package reviewed by the off-campus Coordinator from your school.
If you have any questions, contact Judy at firstname.lastname@example.org
The information session and interview will be scheduled to take place on the same day
Due to the intensive nature of this unique training opportunity, all applicants are required to attend a brief information session. It is important that applicants fully understand the scope of the program and the expectations involved.
Please feel free to invite a parent, guardian or support person to join you.
The information session will include an overview of the ironworking trade, a review of the curriculum, eligibility criteria, and expectations of participants during and after training, along with the opportunity to ask questions.
**Please note that this training program will be limited to 16 seats.**
Participation in this training program will be based on a competitive entry process. As a regional initiative coordinated through Career Transitions, students that attend schools associated with the following partner school divisions are eligible to apply:
- Calvin Christian School
- Coaldale Christian School
- Holy Spirit Roman Catholic Separate Regional Division
- Horizon School Division
- Kainai Board of Education
- Lethbridge School District #51
- Livingstone Range School Division
- Palliser Regional Schools
- Peigan Board of Education
- Westwind School Division