Cardboard Boat Race is one of the most exciting and anticipated events of the year. Given only a few sheets of cardboard, a cutting tool and some tape, students work in groups to construct boats that will hold for both a timed race and a weight challenge.
50 teams of students compete in two divisions: Senior (grades 10–12) and Junior (grades 7–9). In addition to points for speed in the timed race and time afloat during the weight test, teams are evaluated on their design, construction quality, teamwork, and visual appeal.
Date: Thursday, November 14, 2019
Time: 9:00am-3:00pm (see Event Schedule for more details of the day)
Location: University of Lethbridge
Watch for registration details in August
Important Dates 2019 (***Please note change in dates made Aug 23/19***):
- Aug 26 – Cardboard Boat Race registration opens – every school will have the opportunity to register 1 team in the race
- Sept 6 – Deadline for registration of first team
- Sept 9 – you will receive an email with instructions on how to have the potential to register one additional team (this will only happen if the event is not filled by Sept 6)
- Sept 10 at 7:00am – the second round of registrations will open on a first come first served basis. The registration link will remain open until the event is full.
- Sept 10 at 7:00am – a link will also be provided to add teams to a wait-list
- Nov 14 – Cardboard Boat Race event
The Boat Races are now FULL! Be sure to register for a waitlist team if you are still interested in attending.
CBR Registration Form – Wait-team – link will open September 10, 2019 at 1:00am
Please read the entire Teacher’s Package to get details on rules, schedule, judging criteria, etc.
Forms – NEW in 2019 – No forms needed!
*** If you have students with special dietary needs, please make your own arrangements for these students. Career Transitions is not able to make special accommodations at this time for this event.
Please note: Teams now go to PE250 to check in.
[table id=1 /]
Parking Information (effective November 2, 2017)
Bus parking is available in Lot Q (outside the stadium) and will not require a pass. Please drop students off in front of the 1st Choice Savings Centre then park in the gravel area at the stadium.
General vehicle parking is available in Lot N for $1.50/hour up to a maximum of $10.00 for a full day of parking.
Please be aware that parking in any of the other lots could result in ticketing. Career Transitions is not responsible for any parking tickets issued to participants.